Ma Lai Ko

This is probably one of my favourite recipes that I make time and time again. I can say its my speciality, mum uses the same recipe as I do but it never ever turns out right :P I have always grown up calling it Ma Lai Ko, it can be loosely translated as Malaysian Cake or Golden Steamed Cake.



This cake is best served piping hot from the steamer. If a bamboo steamer is not available, an aluminium steamer can be used instead. 

INGREDIENTS
4 eggs
1 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup evaporated milk
120g butter, melted
1 1/2 cup self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
2 tbps golden syrup


Beat eggs and sugar in an electric mixer for 5 mins, or until thick. Stir in milk and butter; fold in sifted flour and soda. Finally, add the golden syrup. Line an 18cm bamboo steamer with a sheet of grease-proof paper, pour in mixture into steamer. Cover and place steamer over wok or pan of boiling water; cook over high heat for 30 mins or until cooked.

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Green with Asian Envy - Pandan Kaya Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

    Cafe Casuarina - your friendly neighbourhood cafe

    Eating My Way Through Singapore in 6 days