Eating My Way Through Kuala Lumpur in 4.5 days

I may have lived in Melbourne for the past 15 years of my life but I will always call Malaysia, home.

"home is where love resides, memories are created, friends always belong and laughter never ends"



Whenever I am back, there are always so many new food places that I discover on people's blogs or instagram that I want to eat at but other times, I like returning to my old favourites :)

Restoran Al-Awwal Maju
Address: 43, Jalan Sulaiman 2 (off Jalan Ampang Putra), 68000 Kuala Lumpur


A trip back home is never complete unless I head out in the middle of the night to a mamak stall and have one of my childhood's favourite food; roti pisang and teh o ais limau. It's not just a nostalgic thing for me but it taste good too!

There are so many mamak stalls around KL that one can visit and I'm sure they all have the goods for you. As for me, this joint is near my best friend, Shereen's place so that's where I head to whenever I am back. I now call Shereen's place, my second home away from home :)

Kay Event & Patisserie
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KayEventPatisserie
Email: info@kayevent.com
mango paradise

I have been friends with Kay since our primary school days, a friendship that has lasted more than 16 years and still going. Over the years, she has worked hard and has achieved her dreams of owning her own events and patisserie business. You know when someone loves what they do with a passion because it shows, just like the mango paradise cake shown above.

The mango paradise is not just a pretty face; it's absolutely amazing. Kay makes the cakes fresh every day; you can really taste the sweetness of the mango, the fresh cream and the fluffiness of the layered sponge cake. And most important of all, all her baked goods are made with high quality ingredients.

If you don't believe what I am saying, here's a close up look of the inside of the mango paradise cake...


I am not lying, her passion for she loves doing really shines through. Look at the mango goodness inside the cake, everything is layered to perfection and the beautifully laid out mango slices on top of the cake proves it too!

pecan choc chip chunks

Another of Kay's goods that I am obsessed with are her pecan chocolate chip chunks! I can never leave KL without ordering at least 6 or more containers of her cookies to lug back to Melbourne.They are so so addictive and I absolutely love eating them! There was once, a girlfriend of mine and I consumed a whole container of the cookies before we even got out of bed.

I daresay that I love Kay's pecan chocolate chip chunks more than I do Famous Amos cookies, there I said it.

Keep up the good work, Kay!

Warung Pak Tam
Address: located on Jalan Belangkas (off Jalan Kampung Pandan)

only thing missing is sambal petai.

Yes, you can find nasi lemak everywhere in KL but where does one find bloody good nasi lemak that keeps you going back for more? Shereen figured it out years ago and now, thanks to her, so have I. At Warung Pak Tam, you can definitely fix your cravings for nasi lemak and roti canai. I have yet to try Pak Tam's roti canai (next time, I will!) as the nasi lemak always wins me over. It was so good that I had it on my first and last day in KL :)

My perfect plate of nasi lemak would consist of sambal sotong, sambal kerang and sambal petai.

If you do have time and can find this place, do try to pay this place a visit and I guarantee you that you won't be disappointed.

Sri Nirwana Maju Restaurant
Address:  43, Jalan Telawi 3, Bangsar Baru, 59100 Kuala Lumpur

banana leaf rice
"if you're not eating with your hand, you're not doing it right"

I love banana leaf rice, maybe it's the novelty of eating with my hand or because my food is served on a banana leaf but I love it. I love having my rice drenched in fish curry and eating with my hand, enjoying the mutton curry and all the side veggies that comes with it - the red fried veggies (the one on the far right) is very addictive and the best part, you can always ask for a top up!

Again, I will have to thank Shereen for introducing me to this place :) I have tried other banana leaf rice restaurants before but I still like this one the best.

Imbi Market (also known as Pasar Bukit Bintang)
Address: Pasar Rakyat 8, Jalan Melati, 55100 Kuala Lumpur

Thanks to Thanis Lim's blog post on Kuala Lumpur Food Guide: Best Breakfast in KL! IMBI Market or Pasar Bukit Bintang which I happened to chance upon, I got to visit one of the best local markets in town :)

If you have a read of Thanis Lim's blog post on Imbi Market, you will see there is so much food to eat at Imbi Market! I would recommend going early on the weekend and bring some friends with you so you can try everything that you can get your hands on.

Unfortunately for me, I only got to try one of food items that I really wanted. My friends and I got to the market a bit late and some of the food that I was looking forward to try was already sold out :(

I've learnt my lesson and the next time, I am in KL, I will be getting to Imbi Market super duper early just so I can eat till my belly is full full.

What did I get end up eating? Chee cheong fun with all the yong tau food goodies that I could get my hands on topped with sweet sauce :)

Chee cheong fun is a dish that I always have a hankering for when I am back in KL. Why? Because I can't get it in Melbourne.

Restoran Loong Fatt
Address: 221, Jalan Genting Klang, Setapak, 53300 Kuala Lumpur

char kuay teow with extra si ham
For the first 12 years of my childhood that I spent growing up in KL, I have spent a lot of my weekends eating at this kopitiam - Restoran Loong Fatt. Every weekend, we would go visit my grandparents and this place was just less than a minute's walk from their house so a lot of meals were consumed here or "tapau-ed" back to the house. We didn't just eat at this kopitiam because it was convenient, the variety of food on offer was more than enough to keep our stomachs happy and it actually taste good too.

The owner of this place has seen me grow up from a little innocent child to the grown up woman that I am today and he still recognises me whenever I pay him a visit. Even the other stall owners at this kopitiam still recognises me after all these years. This kopitiam holds a lot of nostalgic memories for me; my grandparents babysitting my cousin, Bron and I - roast chicken rice for her and steamed chicken rice for me and they would always have freshly squeezed orange juice for the two of us and it's not just that, it's also being able to witness the love that my grandparents have for each other and how much our clan loved food.

Depends on what time of the day you are at Restoran Loong Fatt, you are always guaranteed a good meal. The food that I love eating at this place are:-

  • Wan Tan Mee from the guy with the moustache (I always add chicken feet)
  • Steamed chicken, roast chicken, char siu and/or siew yok on rice (they all taste so good!)
  • Char Kuay Teow (the guy cooks it with the right amount of "wok hei" and I always add extra cockles)
  • Chee cheong fun

Din Tai Fung
Address: LG 207 The Gardens Mall, Mid Valley Megamall

I don't think the famous Din Tai Fung needs much of an introduction as I believe most of you would have heard of it. For those of you who don't know, Din Tai Fung is famous for their xiao long bao (soup dumplings) and they have restaurants in a number of countries around the world - Australia, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan, and USA.

It's not the first time I have eaten at Din Tai Fung in KL but this was the first time that I have ever tried truffle xiao long bao. The verdict? They taste so darn good! I am not sure how I am going to be able to go back to eating normal xiao long bao after eating the truffle ones.

Taman Connaught Night Market
Address: Jalan Cerdas, Taman Connaught, Cheras 56000 Kuala Lumpur

asam laksa

Connaught Pasar Malam is a must-visit for me whenever I am back in town. I have been going to this night market ever since I was a kid and for good reason; it's the longest night market in KL with lots of knick-knacks to look at whether it be clothes, shoes or phone-related items but most important of all, the assortment of food that you can get your hands on!

When I am here, a must-eat for me is the asam laksa. I don't know the name of the stall but I have been frequenting it since I was a kid. All I can tell you is that it's located on the main row of stalls at the night market, it has yellow tables and you're not allowed to have outside drinks. There are a lot more competitor stalls now that sells asam laksa at the night market, I have tried a few just to see how good they are BUT none of them compares to this one stall.

Sorry that I can't provide the name of this stall but like I wrote on instagram, "there may be other competitors but those who love to eat this dish will know where the best one is".

Restaurant Yi Kee
Address: 223, Jalan Sarjana, Taman Connaught, Cheras 56000 Kuala Lumpur

roast goose
The first time I had roast goose was in Hong Kong back in 2005 and I have never forgotten about how good it tasted. If I had to describe it to someone whilst comparing it to roast duck, I would say roast goose has a gamier taste.

It's been a while since I have been to Hong Kong and since I frequent KL more often than I want to admit, I decided to visit Restaurant Yi Kee for my roast goose cravings. I have always known about this restaurant but I have never stepped foot here because...I don't have a good enough reason. Anyways, the roast goose here hit the spot for me and I would definitely come back when I have cravings for it but yeah, it doesn't compare to the ones that I have eaten in Hong Kong.

On a side note, roast goose is not something that is available in Melbourne and I have no idea why when it taste so good!

Ichiro Sushi Bar
Address: 2nd Floor, Eat Paradise located inside Isetan at 1 Utama Shopping Centre

I love Japanese food. If I could, I would eat it every day either for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Ichiro Sushi is a hidden gem that I accidentally stumble upon on instagram and I am so glad that I did. I caught up with one of my primary school friends, Alecie for lunch here and oh boy, we were pleasantly surprised!

I ordered the uni, ikura and salmon don which I dub "my happiness in a bowl" because it truly was. And I also ordered two servings of the uni, the creamy goodness of the uni took me to a very happy place :)

The next time I am back in KL, I will definitely be paying Ichiro Sushi Bar another visit. The sashimi that they have at their restaurant is of good quality and most important of all, it was fresh.

I hope you've enjoy this blog post on the places that I have eaten in KL as much as I have enjoyed blogging about it. Hope you have a great day! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Green with Asian Envy - Pandan Kaya Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

Cafe Casuarina - your friendly neighbourhood cafe

Eating My Way Through Singapore in 6 days