Durian Durian Durian

You either love or hate it; that's what they say but I do know some people who are indifferent about it.

Those who hate it can't stand the smell of it whereas I love the king of fruits and I think it smells damn good. I once had a professor explain what durian tasted like to the whole class and this is what he said, "Eating durian is like eating custard in a smelly toilet".

For those of you who have never tried durian, I highly encourage you to at least try it once in your life. I mean, you'll never know...you might just end up loving it :)


Whilst on my recent trip to Singapore and Kuala Lumpur, I ate my fair share of durian snacks and below you will be able to find places to fix your durian cravings in either country:-

Singapore

The Quarters
Address: Icon Village, 16 Enggor Street #1-09

durian creme brulee

Two of my favourite foods in one: durian + creme brulee <3

The familiarity of the creme brulee; the pleasure of cracking the caramelised sugar top followed by scooping a spoonful of that creamy custard goodness into your mouth but it doesn't end there. It is followed by the hit of durian that you can really taste and it will keep you going back for more. Before you know it, you've devoured the whole thing and craving for a second serve of it.

I highly recommend any durian lover to pay The Quarters a visit and try their durian creme brulee :)

Red Star Dim Sum Restaurant
Address: 54 Chin Swee Road #07-23

durian pudding
durian pancake

The durian pancake at Red Star is so good and so addictive! Thin crepe pancakes filled with a generous serving of durian flesh, just durian flesh and no cream at all. You are really getting the best of the best with the durian pancake here. I will proudly admit that I ate the whole plate of it with no regrets.

I also tried their durian pudding; the pudding was silky smooth but it was lacking in durian flavour. For those who likes eating durian flavoured things but don't like it to be too strong, this would be the durian dessert for you.

Ji De Chi
Address: 8 Liang Seah Street #01-03 (opposite Bugis Junction)

durian sticky rice roll
durian with pomelo sago

I was brought here by my friend, Mr Phua on my second night in Singapore and I thoroughly enjoy the desserts at Ji De Chi. When my heng dai, Tubby arrived in Singapore the following week for a quick stopover, I had to bring him here. Both of us being lovers of durian had to try out the durian desserts that Ji De Che had on offer. We shared the durian with pomelo sago and the durian sticky rice roll.

We started on the durian with pomelo sago, it was pure durian topped with pomelo and sago and a scoop of...durian. It was definitely durian loaded but there was a hint of bitterness to it that balanced the sweetness out. Then we had the durian sticky rice roll, Tubby and I liked this durian dessert the most out of the two because the durian filling and the sticky rice roll just works so well together - a match made in heaven.

Kuala Lumpur

Taste Better
Address: located next to Giant in Cheras Leisure Mall, 8 Jalan Manis 2, Taman Segar, Cheras 56100


The first time I ever tasted Taste Better's durian puffs was in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah in March last year. I am so glad that I happened to stumble across one of their outlets in KL as I was strolling through Leisure Mall in Cheras - a shopping mall that I used to frequent during my childhood days (and I still do!).

These one bite durian puffs are the bomb! Perfect puffs filled with flavourful and creamy durian paste inside. To all the durian lovers out there, I can guarantee you...you can't go wrong with these durian puffs.

Sumptuous Desserts (yellow skin durian pancakes)
Address: Lower Ground Floor of The Gardens Mall/Mid Valley Megamall


Every trip that I make back to KL, never once have I failed to get these durian pancakes from The Gardens Mall/Mid Valley Megamall.

There are two stalls on the Lower Ground Floor of The Gardens Mall/Mid Valley Megamall that are quite close to each other, don't be mistaken! All I can say is "look out for the yellow skin durian pancakes" as the other stall which doesn't taste as good has green skin durian pancakes.

That about sums up my durian adventure in Singapore and KL. If you know of any good durian places in either country, please leave a comment below...it would be much appreciated! <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Green with Asian Envy - Pandan Kaya Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

Cafe Casuarina - your friendly neighbourhood cafe

Eating My Way Through Singapore in 6 days