My Eats in Chiang Mai!

The last time I was in Chiang Mai was back in July 2006. Over the years, I have reminisce over their good food  especially their Chiang Mai noodles, something you don't find in most Thai restaurants in Melbourne. Thanks to my recent trip to Chiang Mai in March, I had the chance to relive the memories of how good a bowl of Chiang Mai noodles tasted plus much more.

If you are ever up north of Thailand, do drop by and visit Chiang Mai. It's not as lively as Bangkok but it sure does have it's charms :)


Here are a few of my recommendations of places to eat:-


Khao Soi Prince
Address: 105-109 Th Kaew Nawarat (near Prince Royals College)

What is Chiang Mai noodles, or better known as Khao Soi? 


It is a bowl of hearty egg noodles that is served in a coconut milk curry soup with either chicken/beef. It is also topped off with crispy deep fried noodles, coriander, a wedge of lime, pickled mustard, sliced shallots and chilli paste. A bowl of this deliciousness will only set you back at only 30-50 baht (that's only AUD $1-1.50!)



Khao Soi Beef

Pork filled sago balls
Address: somewhere along Soi 11, Nimmanhaemin Road (on the way to Mango Tango)

I am sure you can find this delicious Thai snack being sold by a lot of street vendors. I just happened to stumble across this sweet lady who was selling this goodies whilst on my way to Mango Tango. If I had one word for this snack, it would be AMAZEBALLS! It is savoury and slightly sweet but it works. I can keep eating these balls of goodness all day long. Beware of those little bird's eye chilli that they put in the container...taking a bite of it equals mouth on fire.

Mango Tango

Address: Soi 11, Nimmanhaemin Road


Mango Tango Special

Who doesn't love mango? I know I do! 

If you are a mango lover, this place is a must visit. I had the mango tango special which consisted of half a mango, mango pudding topped with whipped cream, sticky rice topped with creamy coconut milk and some crispies and a scoop of mango ice-cream. I know that you can find sticky rice anywhere in Thailand but I must say, Mango Tango really does nail this to perfection (even my visit to one of their Bangkok branch confirmed it).


Sunday Market Walking Street

Address: located right in the centre of the old walled city area of Chiang mai. It starts at the Tha Pae Gate at one end and it also extends for roughly 1km down the full length of Ratchadamnoen Road. The market is on every Sunday from 4pm till midnight.

I have to say, I am a market person. No matter what country I am travelling to, I am always seeking out their markets. I just think that there is quite a charm to markets especially in Asia because it shows you a piece of the country, what the locals do for a living, it always has a great atmosphere and there is always so much amazing food that I get to feast on.



may the best kid win
these girls were simply gorgeous!
I can never say no to mango and stick rice
these girls can give some of the buskers in Melbourne a run for their money
 
colourful and so addictive!

Bake and Bite
Address: Soi 1 Kaeo Nawarat Soi 3/2

I am not usually one to hunt down Western food when I am in Asia but one of the lovely ladies who were staying at the same AIRBNB accommodation (Baan Songjum) suggested that I try Bake and Bite. From where we were, it was a bit of a trek plus it was like playing hide 'n' seek because it is hidden away down the end of a street but was it worth it? Yes. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was and they had an extensive menu to choose from! I love when there is a variety but at the same time, I am not a big fan of extensive menus because I can never decide >_<

the french toast with blueberries & banana was so good!

Angel's Secrets
Address: 27 Moon Mueang Road Soi 5

This breakfast place is definitely a hidden gem in Chiang Mai. After eating with my eyes and reading the reviews of Angel's Secret on TripAdvisor, I had to try it out for myself. I definitely was not disappointed. Situated on corner, as soon as you step in, you get a really homey feel to the place but at the same time, it's has a quirky charm to it that makes you want to linger.

the brunch spread that was devoured :)

I love everything about this place; the freshly squeezed juices, the delicious tasting food, the beautiful plates and the friendly ladies who run this place.

Chiang Mai Street Food Tours
Address: they pick you up from your accommodation

No matter how long you spend overseas, you'll never be able to discover all the good food places that are just lurking around the corner. Whilst I was in Chiang Mai, I went on an Evening Food Tour with Chiang Mai Street Food Tours. We were part of a group of 4, with a couple from Denmark. 


The girl, Narissa and I had the same way of thinking when the best time was to weigh ourselves, "its first thing in the morning after you have gone to the loo etc" which made me thought "yay, I'm not the only one". It was also great on this tour with them because Narissa and I were both instagrammers and wanted to snap away at all the food :) 


Back to the tour, I wish I paid more attention to where we were taken to try all the yummy food because if I was to go back, I wouldn't have a clue.


*excuse the quality of some of these photos as there wasn't adequate lighting and I refused  to use flash.




Whilst in Chiang Mai...EAT UP! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Green with Asian Envy - Pandan Kaya Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

Cafe Casuarina - your friendly neighbourhood cafe

Eating My Way Through Singapore in 6 days