The Food Indulging Malaysia Road Trip

It's no secret that Malaysia is a haven for food lovers. Whilst on a recent holiday back home, I embarked on a food indulging road trip with a very good friend of mine from...


KUALA LUMPUR -> IPOH -> PENANG -> IPOH -> MELAKA -> KUALA LUMPUR


On this road trip, I believe I put on 3kgs worth of holiday weight! (still in the process of losing that post holiday weight).

So, if you are ever in the neighbourhood, do drop by at these food joints. I would gladly revisit these places again and again *drools* Here are a few of my recommendations:-

KUALA LUMPUR
Pak Atam's Nasi Lemak 
Address: somewhere off Jalan Kampung Pandan, Desa Pandan

I know nasi lemak is a staple in Malaysia BUT this place does it so well and for a very reasonable price. I had the usual nasi lemak topped with fried egg, sambal kerang and sambal sotong; it only cost me less than AUD$2.00!




IPOH
Funny Mountain Tau Foo Fah
Address: 49, Jalan Theatre, Ipoh

For only RM$1.00, why wouldn't you stop for a quick dessert of silky smooth tau foo fah? On weekends, be prepare to queue up or if you are too lazy to get out of your cars, they also have a drive-thru :)




Restoran New Hollywood
Address: 38, Jalan Lee Kwee Foh, Canning Garden, Ipoh

This place was so good, we came back twice! Some might think that half-boiled eggs are nothing to be raved about but I beg to differ especially when they are cooked to perfection atop buttered toast.




That very dish is called "Roti Telur Goyang" a.k.a perfectly cooked half-boiled eggs on toast. For those of you who understand Malay/Indo, I really think they could have come up with a more "appropriate" name but none the less, it made me chuckle.

If you are not into eggs, they do serve a variety of other foods. I do highly recommend trying the chee cheong fun and the char kuay teow.


Thean Chun

Address: 7 Jalan Bandar Timah, Ipoh

Do not let this kopitiam fool you! Inside this unassuming coffee shop, you will find amazingly smooth caramel custards. On our way back from Penang, we actually tried to come here again for their caramel custards BUT they are closed on Thursdays! So, if you plan to visit Thean Chun, make sure you do not go on a Thursday.



"sharing is caring" did not apply to this sweet dish

Another dish to try at this place is their beef noodles. Apparently, their pork satay here is really good too but did not get a chance to try as we were way too full.



PENANG
Fatty Boy Chicken Rice
Address: located along Jalan Burma (right next to Tune Hotel)

Some say that this place is touristy, we say this chicken rice place is worth eating at. We didn't just eat here once but twice! The chicken here is done really well; very succulent, moist and juicy. Their char siu is exceptionally tasty, I think it was also one of the reasons why we went back a second time.




Maria's Wan Tan Mee
Address: located along Jalan Burma (right next to Tune Hotel - the other side to Fatty Boy)

The wan tan mee and prawn noodles here is suprisingly good. If you stay at Tune Hotel in Penang, you get good food on both sides of the hotel within walking distance.




MELAKA
Ban Lee Siang Sate Celup
Address: 45E, Jalan Ong Kim Wee, Melaka

Melaka is one of the cities in Malaysia that I always love visiting; the culture, the heritage and the amazingly good food that I can get my hands on.


I hear so much about satay celup from my mum's husband but have never tried it so off we went for dinner to Ban Lee Siang Sate Celup. I tasted it and I liked it :)


For those of you who do not know what satay celup is, it's like hot pot/steamboat on sticks but the pot of goodness is satay sauce.




Duck Noodles @ SS Food and Beverage Station
Address: located on Jalan Pengkalan Rama (off Jalan Tun Sri Lanang)

Want a late night snack in Melaka? Look no further than SS Food and Beverage Station for their duck noodles. It's a very simple dish but done oh so well. If you want dessert after, the ice kacang here will end the night on a good note.




Huang Chang Chicken Rice Restaurant
Address: BB-376, Taman Melaka Baru, Batu Berendam, Melaka

You can't come to Melaka and not have chicken rice balls! To be honest, I am not sure if I am more excited about the chicken or the rice balls but either way, I love this dish! This is one of the cheaper places in Melaka to enjoy this specialty, it taste great and its not touristy like some of its competitors.




Longkang Si Ham @Kerang Rebus Lwei
Address: Jalan Bunga Raya, Melaka (an alley beside Madam King's Shopping Centre)

Si ham! I have always called them "si ham" or "kerang" as a kid but they are also known as cockles in English. It's a shame that you can't get these babies fresh in Melbourne :( Usually, I ask for extra si ham in my char kuay teow when I am back in KL or when I am having steamboat at a night market. However, eating by the longkang side whilst sitting on tiny wooden stools was fun especially in good company :)




Restoran Tong Sheng
Address: 378, Jalan Taman Melaka Raya 6, Taman Melaka Raya, Melaka

What so special about this restaurant? OMG the cheese prawn bee hoon! I never thought an Asian dish like this could work but it taste so good. The cheese sauce was delicious, I kept going back for more.




Klebang Original Coconut Shake
Address: Jalan Klebang Besar, Melaka (next to Caltex Petrol Station)

My dear friend, Shereen kept raving about this place and I just didn't understand what all the fuss was about. I mean it's just a coconut shake, how good can it be? When the coconut shake special arrived at our table, I was a bit skeptic at first but when I had my first taste, I became a believer. 


This shake is amazing, it's so simple but taste so refreshingly good! They blend the coconut flesh and coconut water together with some ice cubes and then topped off with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream. Whenever I am in Melaka, I will definitely be dropping by this place :)




So, if you ever find yourself on a food indulging road trip around Malaysia, do drop by these places. You won't regret it :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Green with Asian Envy - Pandan Kaya Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

Cafe Casuarina - your friendly neighbourhood cafe

Eating My Way Through Singapore in 6 days