Third Wave Cafe - Prahran

Third Wave Cafe
30 Cato Street,
Prahran VIC 3181
03 - 9510 2991

Opening Hours: Monday - Friday 7:00am to 4:00pm
                         Saturday - Sunday 8:00am to 4:00pm

                         (from 15 November onwards, they will be opening for dinner Thurs - Sat)

I was very surprised when Greg, the owner of the place had stumbled across my food blog and invited me here for breakfast. I was more than happy to oblige.



Third Wave Cafe is in the perfect location. It's off Chapel Street and it's walking distance to Prahran Market (where I bought fresh ingredients for tomorrow's breakfast!) plus there's ample parking space just around the corner.

We got to the cafe at about 9:30am and sat by the window. Our waiter started us off with drinks and informed us that Greg was not in yet so we had a look at what the menu had to offer.


white hot chocolate topped with orange zest
ice coffee

I told the waiter to surprise me with the hot chocolate as they had a few on offer and I couldn't decide. The orange zest really complimented the white hot chocolate, I really enjoyed it. P got the ice coffee - made with 3 shots of espresso, 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream and milk. Though I am not a coffee drinker, I had a taste and I can definitely say they put the goods into this drink. 

First impressions? The place had a lot of natural light, it was spacious and I liked the simple furniture that they had.




It did not take long for our food to arrive. Though we had a look at the menu, we found ourselves ordering what Greg had recommended to me earlier.

P had the Big Breakfast for the hungry soul - eggs the way you liked them on toasted multigrain or ciabatta bread with bacon, butter mushrooms, sauteed spinach, chorizo sausage and honey roasted tomato. According to the description of the menu, it stated "hunger gone...guaranteed". Any breakfast that has bacon and chorizo makes him a very happy little camper and he definitely was full after demolishing his meal :)



his meal
As for me, I had the Crunchy Risotto Hash Brown - seared mushroom and parmesan risotto hash topped with butter mushrooms, chorizo, roasted tomato and poached egg on a bed of rocket. I LOVED my dish! Everything on my plate are things that I am happy to devour on a daily basis especially perfectly poached eggs and butter mushrooms. Plus the risotto hash brown was simply delicious. Even P who doesn't like risotto kept picking at the hash brown off my plate.


my meal
After our meals, we were greeted by Greg and we had a lengthy conversation with him which I thoroughly enjoyed. We got to learn a lot about his cafe; where his delicious tasty chorizo is sourced from, how his American BBQ - slow smoked pork and beef ribs are done and his main goal is to serve customers tasty food (he has definitely got this in the bag). Amongst other things that we discussed, Greg also told us how to spot a fair coffee from a bad one and how to cook perfectly poached eggs, something that I am still trying to master at home.

I can't wait to come back for dinner and taste the their slow smoked pork and beef ribs :) Thanks for inviting me to try out your new cafe in Prahran, Greg. I really enjoyed the food. Third Wave on Urbanspoon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Green with Asian Envy - Pandan Kaya Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

Cafe Casuarina - your friendly neighbourhood cafe

Eating My Way Through Singapore in 6 days