One Night in Bangkok

On a recent trip back to Malaysia, my good but crazy friend, Shereen decided to indulge me on a quick 2 days 1 night trip to Bangkok. It was a crazy idea given I only have a week in Kuala Lumpur BUT it's the two of us and the usual rule is "anything goes".

This would be "I don't remember how many times" that I have been to Bangkok but it was Shereen's first time. I am so glad that it was me who got to pop her Bangkok cherry, I mean it's no secret I love Bangkok so who could be better to show her the city?


This trip was purely for shopping and to indulge on food till our stomachs could take no more with the one exception of an amazing 2 hour massage that left us feeling like we were on Cloud Nine.


Since it was such a quick trip, there was only so much food places that Shereen and I could fit in. Here are a few of my recommendations of where to eat in Bangkok:-


Chatuchak Weekend Market
Whenever I make a trip to Bangkok, I always make sure that the days that I am there, it falls on a weekend because I love exploring this market. It is humongous and I can never get through the whole place; I love hunting for vintage dresses and also, you can get some really nice dresses for 100 baht which is less than $5!


coconut ice-cream
crispy pancake (kanom bueang)

Our first bite in Bangkok was the Thai coconut ice-cream served in a coconut shell topped with coconut flesh, grass jelly, sticky rice and peanuts which was simply tasty and refreshing. Anything that has coconut is always a winning dish in my books :) Then, we snacked on freshly made crispy pancakes. There was three different type of flavours in those pancakes but I am not sure what they were, it didn't matter coz we gobbled it up.

There were two other food items that I was hunting for at Chatuchak Market; the red ruby dessert and grilled honey roast pork (moo yang). Unfortunately, I couldn't find either one of these stalls which have come highly recommended but it's OK, I shall save it for my next trip to Bangkok.
After check-in to our 1 night stay at Novotel Bangkok Platinum (totally worth the money especially for the bedding...ultimate comfort!), we were feeling peckish so we ventured down to Kaiton Pratunam Chicken Rice to try their famous chicken rice but they had already sold out for the day :(

Green T-Shirt Chicken Rice
Address: Intersection of Thanon Petchaburi and Thanon Ratchadamri Streets, Pratunam


Another chicken rice shop to the rescue! Since Pink T-shirt (Kaiton) Chicken Rice was sold out for the day, we ventured further down and found Green T-shirt Chicken Rice! The place was packed so we got take-away and brought it back to the hotel to eat our early lunch. I don't know what pink t-shirts chicken rice taste like but green t-shirts was pretty good, the sauce that accompanied the chicken rice was very addictive.

Noodle Rroi @ Platinum Fashion Mall
After doing some damage to our money banks, we headed up to Noodle Rroi located within the Platinum Fashion Mall's food court to have our second lunch of boat noodles. This wasn't the place I had in mind for boat noodles but we settled for it because the coupon system at the food court confused us a bit.


If you were having cravings for boat noodles, this place would satisfy that craving but not quite 100%. It was good but it wasn't great. The place is conveniently located in Platinum Fashion Mall but for me, the broth lacked that "oomph" that you're hoping to get and with the pork blood mixed into it and it was a bit too spicy. To me, it felt like the spiciness of the broth is used to masked the fact that it's lacking in flavour.

A few years back, I bought a book "Bangkok's Top 50 Street Food Stalls" and ever since then, I have been determined to try out as many places as I can in the book. This trip, it took me to Chinatown where there were three specific places I wanted to eat at but only managed to find two of them as Nai Jui - crispy pork on rice was closed the night I was there *sad face*

Kapoh Pla Rert Rot in Chinatown
Address: located on Yaorawat Road, in front of the Seiko watch shop.
Opening hours: 6:30pm - 1:00am (except Mondays)

fish maw soup

Lovers of fish maw should definitely drop by this food stall as it serves up some delicious tasting fish maw soup! It was hearty, well-seasoned and the lady boss was very generous with the amount of fish maw.

As I have been told, eating fish maw gives you good complexion so...eat up, ladies!

Nai Mong Hoy Tod in Chinatown
Address: 539 Soi Prapachai (the street that is located directly in front of UOB Bank), off Yaowarat Road
Opening hours: 11:00am - 10:30pm (Daily)

Once you find yourself in front of UOB Bank; walk down Prapachai Street for about 3-5 minutes (which involves crossing a busy street) and then, on your right, you will see a sign that says 'Nai Mong Hoy Tod' and you'll know that you have found the place.

oyster omelette

This hole-in-the-wall joint off Yaorawat Road in Chinatown serves up the best oyster omelettes in Bangkok (in my opinion!). It's quite possibly one of the best kept secrets in Bangkok as the place is not even crowded, I have no idea why but it's OK, more oyster omelettes for me!

Just look at the size of those oysters! They were very plump and oh so juicy, the omelette was also cooked to perfection. Two plates of this oyster goodness only cost me AUD $2.45 which is an absolute bargain!

Doy Kuay Teow Reua
Address: Ratchawithi Soi 18 (Wat Makok), Thanon Ratchawithi, Bangkok 10400
Opening hours: 8:00am - 6:00pm (Daily)

I found Our Awesome Planet's direction to get to this boat noodle restaurant the easiest to understand. Here is how to get to the restaurant with ease:

The closest BTS station is Victory Monument. Once you’re on the skywalk facing the monument, you need to turn left on Ratchawithi, cross the street, and walk down the sidewalk (you’ll pass Tops Supermarket) until you reach Soi 18. Walk down Soi 18 about 100 meters and you’ll come to a temple. Walk around the temple to the backside and you’ll discover the hidden boat noodle restaurant.


Who's that lady in the photo above? That's my sampat por aka my crazy travelling companion, also knows simply as Shereen :)

The walk to find this boat noodle restaurant took about 10 minutes but the weather was starting to pretty darn hot so by the time we got to the restaurant, we had to order a bottle of their local "coke" to cool off.



the staff enjoying their breakfast

One of the things I like about Doy Kuay Teow Reua is the simplicity of it, it's nothing fancy but a simple place that is all about the food.



The both of us ordered the beef and the pork boat noodles to try and we both agreed that the pork one tasted better than the beef. Though in saying that, I would happily devour both of them!

The thing I love about the boat noodles at this restaurant is the broth; it is dark and well-seasoned with the addition of pork blood making it very rich and tasty. There are condiments on the table that you can add to your bowl of noodles but the broth as it is was perfect.



3 bowls of noodles each :)

If we weren't planning on doing more damage at Platinum Fashion Mall, Shereen and I would have happily stayed to demolish more boat noodle goodness.



We finished on a sweet note at Doy Kuay Teow Reua with the sweet pandan coconut custards that are topped with coconut cream, they had it on the all the tables. It was the perfect bite-size dessert that you would happily eat more than one. Personally I had two of them but could definitely have eaten more.

This was probably the best meal that I have had on this trip (besides the oyster omelette); 6 bowls of noodles plus 3 of the sweet pandan coconut custards and a bottle of cola only cost me 121 baht! That's less than AUD $5!


The next time I am in Bangkok, I will definitely be paying this place another visit :)


Som Tam Nua

Address: 392/14 Siam Square Soi 5

Just before we headed to the airport, we had lunch at Som Tam Nua. I came back for their garlic fried chicken! The crunchiness of the chicken and the crispy garlic bits that you get to sink your teeth into, simply finger lickin' good.


garlic fried chicken
northeast style spicy soup with pork bone
chiangmai pork sausage and crispy fried pork rind with green chilli dip
somtam with salted crab


That is all the food that I managed to get my hands on during my quick trip to Bangkok this time around. Hopefully in 2015, I will be able to make another trip there and check out more food places.

Hope you've enjoy reading this post on my eats in Bangkok!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Green with Asian Envy - Pandan Kaya Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

Cafe Casuarina - your friendly neighbourhood cafe

Eating My Way Through Singapore in 6 days