Sydney Eats - A Weekend Getaway

In July, I made my way up to Sydney specifically for the Game of Thrones Exhibit. I may have waited 10 hours in line just to sit on the Iron Throne and enjoyed the "Ascend the Wall 4D Experience" but it was worth it as I made new friends. Who knew that friendship could blossom from spending 10 hours of waiting in line with random strangers :)

I am definitely a Melbournian at heart and always will be but I love spending weekends in Sydney when I get the chance. Why? The food. It's always about food when it comes to me. If I am not already eating or have just finished a meal, I am already thinking of what I will be eating next.


On my recent weekend getaway to Sydney, I managed to try some new food joints but also, visited my oldies but goodies.


If you find yourself up in Sydney any time soon, try dropping by these places...you will not regret it!


Mr Crackles
Address: 155 Oxford Street, Darlinghurst
Opening Hours: Mon-Wed 11:30am - 9:30pm
                        Thurs 11:30am - 2:00am
                         Fri 11:30am - 4:30am 
                         Sat 12:00pm - 4:30am 
                         Sun 12:00pm - 9:30pm
Mr Crackles on Urbanspoon

If you are having munchies in the middle of the night or just wanting to have a late night feed because you can and want to, look no further than Mr Crackles if you love crackling pork belly. Thanks to my heng dai, Tubby for taking me to this place as I thoroughly enjoyed every mouthful of my pork belly roll.


Crackle Classic - crispy skinned slow roast 5 spiced pork belly served with vietnamese salad in a roll
how good does that pork belly look? *drools*

Something so simple as a pork belly roll, when done oh so well can really bring a smile to my face. I loved that they were generous with the pork belly, it was so juicy and tender that I devoured but savoured every mouthful of my roll.

For those who watch "How I Met Your Mother", I swear it felt like I was eating a sandwich with Ted, Marshall and Lily.


Before I forget, if you love crackling, one must not forget to also order a side of their crackling in a cup!



you can share your cup of crackling or simply, eat it all yourself.

Devon Cafe
Address: 76 Devonshire Street, Surry Hills
Opening Hours: Mon-Fri 6:30am - 4:30pm
                         Sat-Sun 8:00am - 3:30pm
Devon Cafe on Urbanspoon

I stumbled across this places on Instagram before it was even the "talk of the town" and I couldn't wait to try it out when I was in Sydney. The dish below was the one that attracted me to this place because the Malaysian in me can never say no to kaya toast and soft boiled eggs. It brings back very fond memories of my childhood whilst growing up in Kuala Lumpur :)


coconut jam, butter, light soy 63 degree eggs, brioche toast
Breakfast with the Sakuma's - miso grilled king salmon, eel croquette, 63 degree egg and kewpie mayo

The Breakfast with the Sakuma's was superb, everything on the plate worked so well. If only my stomach was bigger, I would have loved to try more items on the menu but its not. Oh wells, at least it's an excuse for me to go up to Sydney again :)

Gumshara

Address: Shop 211, 25-29 Dixon Street, Haymarket (Eating World Food Court, Chinatown)
Opening Hours: Mon 11:30am - 8:30pm
                         Tues-Sat 11:30am - 9:00pm
                         Sun 11:30 - 8:30pm

Gumshara Ramen on Urbanspoon


I have tasted quite a number of ramens in Melbourne but nothing ever comes close to Gumshara's standards. Oh why oh why must you be in Sydney? 

I love Gumshara's tonkotsu broth, it's lip-smackingly good and nothing compares to it. It's the richest that you will ever taste; a very thick broth that is the result of boiling down 150kgs of bones which has a high concentration of collagen. If you have been to Sydney and have never paid this place a visit...YOU ARE MISSING OUT!



Super Mega Ramen Noodle - pork spare rib, bbq pork slices, pork skewer and gooey yolked egg on top of ramen noodles in a thick tonkotsu broth

I have always shared the super mega ramen with another person, I do not dare to attempt to finish it myself for fear of being a little piggy but the thought has crossed my mind. As if the mega ramen doesn't haven't enough toppings, I always love to add an extra gooey yolked egg because they are always done to perfection. I do not know about the rest of you but when it comes to a tasty bowl of ramen, Gumshara definitely equals perfection for me.

Bourke Street Bakery

Address: 472-474 Gardeners Road, Alexandria
Opening Hours: Mon-Sun 7:00am - 4:00pm
Bourke Street Bakery on Urbanspoon

I am more of a savoury person than a sweet person and I have never been one for baked goods but something drew me to Bourke Street Bakery. It was their ginger brulee tart! There are only a number of western desserts that I will eat; creme brulee, sticky date pudding, creme caramel and panacotta. Hence, my trek to taste their ginger brulee tart.

I cannot even start to describe how amazingly good this tart taste and even now, I am starting to drool just thinking about it. Everything was well balanced and the crushed pistachios on top just gave it a bit of oomph even though it was not needed at all.



ginger brulee tart
blackberry jam lamington (only available Thurs & Sun)
ginger brulee tarts and lemon curd tart to bring home to Melbourne :)

Not too long ago, I purchased the Bourke Street Bakery cookbook and lucky for me, the ginger brulee tart recipe is in there! Baking has never been my forte but I will attempt to make this recipe at home...soon.

That is all from me for now, will be posting up my experience at Tetsuya's shortly.


Hope you've enjoyed this post of mine on my Sydney Eats :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Green with Asian Envy - Pandan Kaya Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

Cafe Casuarina - your friendly neighbourhood cafe

Eating My Way Through Singapore in 6 days